Item 10: General William Holmes diary, 23 August 1914-22 February 1915 - Page 75
AUSTRALIAN NAVAL & MILITARY EXPEDITION:
OPERATION ORDER NO. 1
Colonel William Holmes, D.S.O., V.D., Brigadier Commanding:
(1) The Expedition will occupy the German Colonies to-morrow.
(2) Little, if any resistance is anticipated.
(3) One Coy. Naval Contingent (less details) has been despatched by H.M.A.S. "Sydney" to seize the Wireless Stations near Herbertshohe. Arrangements for transport of the Herbertshohe Garrison will be communicated personally to Commander Beresford. 150 rounds ammunition per rifle and 1 week's rations to be taken.
O.C. J.A.H. Beresford R.A.N.
4 Coys. Naval Contingent.
1 M.G. Section 1st Infantry
1 Section A.A.M.C.
(4) The Force detailed in the margin [below] under the command of Lt.-Col. J. Paton, V.D. will, as soon as it can be disembarked from H.M.A.S "Berrima", occupy and garrison the seat of Government at Rabaul. 150 rounds ammunition per rifle and 1 day's rations to be taken.
O.C. Lt.-Col. J. Paton, V.D. 1st Infantry.
1 Coy. Naval Contging't
4 Coys. 1st Infantry
1 Section M.G. 1st Inty.
Signallers 1st Infantry
(5) Detailed instructions have been issued separately to O.C. Companies Herbertshohe and Rabaul Garrisons.
(6) Provost Marshal will seize all Government property. Regimental Police 1st Infantry are placed under his orders.
(7) Messages in first instance to H.M.A.S. "Berrima".
(Sgd.) Francis Heritage
To - O.C. Naval Cont.
- O.C. 1st. Infantary
- P.M.O. & Provost Marshal.
By - A.D.C.