This page has already been transcribed. You can find new pages to transcribe here.


[Page 8]

[Editor's note: This diary begins with Ashmead Bartlett's appointment in March 1915, as representative of the British press to report on the Dardenelles Expedition. It covers the campaign from the initial landings, both Anzac and British. His visit to London in June with conversations with Winston Churchill, and senior Ministers and a detailed account of the disastrous British action in August at Suvla Bay. His letter to the Prime Minister, Herbert Asquith, and his forced return to England in early October. His lecture tour and his departure for Australia at end of December 1915. His many spelling and typing errors have not been corrected]

Diary of Gallipoli Campaign EAB. E Ashmead Bartlett

Thursday March 25th 1915
This morning I left London accompanied by Lester Lawrence,
who was to represent Reuters at the Dardanelles Expedition. The Admirality and War Office having consented to allow two, representatives of the Press to go to the Front. The Newspaper Proprietor's Association then met to elect a representative, and Harry Lawson is the President of it. Several names were proposed by the "Daily Mail" and "The Times", but these were immediately turned down, or else violently opposed "by the "Daily Chronicle", "The Daily News" or the "Morning Post". The discussion went on without any conclusion being arrived at, until Harry Lawson said "Well I am willing to let Ashmead-Bartlett go.

"The Times" and the "Daily Mail" at once jumped up and said that I was perfectly acceptable to them, and wanted to have me elected on the spot. Lawson, however, said he thought it better that the meeting should adjourn for three days, and that meanwhile they, the representatives should consult their owners, as to my election. Lawson sent for me the same evening and told me what he had done, so that for the next three days, I remained in a expectancy wondering whether my appointment would meet with violent opposition at the last minute. The Friday before the date on which I am writing, the meeting was held, and I was unanimously elected without opposition. That is how I came to represent the entire London Press at the Dardanelles. I then got in touch with the Admiralty, and received my instructions to make my own way to Malta, and then to report myself to Admiral Limpus, who would arrange for me to continue my journey, to wheresoever the Fleet was to be found. I delayed my departure for one

Current Status: