INSTRUCTIONS FOR OFFICER COMMANDING GARRISON TROOPS AT HERBERTSHOHE:
1. Take charge of Post Office and all other Public Buildings and Offices, and post necessary sentries over same.
2. Disarm inhabitants.
3. Search for arms and ammunition, and collect same and forward to Brigade Head Quarters.
4. Furnish list of Europeans.
5. Arrest German Officials, obtain all information from them, and search their residences.
6. Detain all arrested persons until instructed how to act.
7. Definitely ascertain and report at once position and condition of wireless station, but do not destroy without orders.
8. Protect life and property.
9. Act with Officer in Charge of Native Police in maintaining law and order.
10. Ascertain and report what supplies are available, such as food, coal, etc.
11. Impound all Benzine.
12. What transport available -
(b) Ordinary vehicles
(d) Boats, Launches, etc.
13. What hospital accommodation exists -
14. Select Barracks for Garrison
15. Do you recommend retaining any former Government Officials in office? If so, report whether they are prepared to take an oath and give an assurance that they will perform their duties satisfactorily, and place no obstacles in the way of the occupying force.
16. Ensure that your troops shall respect all public and private property of both Europeans and Natives.
(17) Treat Natives firmly, not harshly.
(18) Prepare any earthworks necessary to resist boat landings, etc.
(19) Protect water supplies where necessary.
(20) All supplies required, if any, to be requisitioned for and receipts given by you, so that they may be afterwards paid for.