INSTRUCTIONS FOR OFFICER IN CHARGE OF NATIVE POLICE, RABAUL:
1. Your Head Quarters will be at Rabaul
2. Report daily at 4-0 pm direct to OC Expeditionary Force at Rabaul, and oftener when necessary.
3. Ascertain the fullest possible particulars as to organisation and personnel of existing force - length of service etc.
4. Ascertain rates of pay at present enjoyed.
5. Get them together and collect all their arms ammunition and other weapons or equipment - then reissue when satisfied after enlistment and swearing in.
6. Appoint N.C.O.s giving preference to those who are at present serving in these ranks.
7. Obtain copies of rules, regulations or instructions at present in force and forward to Brigade Head Quarters.
8. Be firm but not harsh.
9. Insist on police acting with fairness and promptness with other Natives who commit offences.
10. If possible see Official who has been acting as Magistrate and obtain all possible information from him as to Laws concerning the Natives.
11. Ascertain position of Police Barracks and place of detention or punishment for Natives.
12. Ascertain location of Native Hospital.
13. Act in conjunction with O.C. Garrisons at Rabaul and Herbertshohe.
14. Insist on absolute protection of property of any German Residents, Officials, or others who may have departed.
15. Make a thorough search for arms amongst Native Population and collect same, and forward to Brigade Head Quarters.
16. Make a thorough search for arms amongst Native Population and collect same, and forward to Brigade Head Quarters.
17. Obtain all information possible about German population.
(Sgd.) WILLIAM HOLMES, Colonel
Commanding Australian Naval & Military Exped.
4th September 1914.