This page has already been transcribed. You can find new pages to transcribe here.


[Page 75]

our seeing Fiume in the time at our disposal so abandoned the idea. Looked round Trieste in morning and took a few photos. Lunched at Hotel, wrote letters in early afternoon, later had a sleep somewhat making up the shortage of the two previous nights. Dined at hotel. Arrived at station at 11pm and occupied a Coupe Compartment. Belgrade train awaits arrival of Paris express, which now regularly runs some hours late, so we slept during the hours of waiting.

Friday 14th November
Train actually moved out at 4.30 am. We have the Coupe Compartment to ourselves. Very interesting journey thro' snow clad mountains to Laibach and later along the River Sava to [indecipherable]. Here at 2pm a refreshment car was added to the train and we lunched. While waiting at this station a gentleman in plain clothes came to us and asked us if we would take some letters for him to the British Consul at Belgrade so as to catch the weekly mail to England. In course of conversation we ascertained that this gentleman (Capt McGrath) had been an RE officer during the war and was actually attached to Australian troops during the fighting at Bullecourt. He speaks Russian and is representing some British interests in Yugo Slavia.
An awful bable on station. Very crowded and all possible languages spoken simultaneously. Reached [indecipherable] force about 10pm. Here there was a huge crowd of soldiers and civilians and again babel. After leaving the mountains we have passed through good agricultural country.

Saturday 15th November
Arrived at [indecipherable] about 4 am and was gratified to find we could go on direct to Belgrade, the railway bridge over the [indecipherable] having been temporarily reinstated. Arrived at Belgrade station about 4.45. Passed baggage and left it in Stationmasters office. No conveyances available. Walked to Moscow Hotel in drizzling rain. No accommodation available  €“ similar experience at Grand Hotel. Eventually secured rooms at the Crown of Serbia Hotel. Turned in at 6 am dead tired. Breakfast in Hotel Café at 10 am. Ascertained whereabouts of British Military Attache, Gen Plunkett, thanks to the kindness of a Salvation Army officer, who ran us round in his lorry. The Salvation Army has in Belgrade over  £ 100000 worth of goods and stores of all kinds in order to help the local population, who have been for some time in a bad way and are short of many of the necessities of life. With Gen Plunkett called on Gen Michitieh Chief of General Staff of Servian Army. He arranged we should travel by boat tomorrow down the Danube from Belgrade

Current Status: