This page has already been transcribed. You can find new pages to transcribe here.


[Page 2]

made the most of it and push'd on to double Staten Land, which I did the next day, having past close to New Years Harbour with fair weather that was sufficiently tempting, after a long voyage, to benefit by the refreshments it could afford us, but I saw still the appearance of summer altho the Days short, and knowing well the consequence of delay, I entered the Southern Ocean 10th. a very fresh Gale westerly under low sail. - I got on with as much success as could reasonably be expected until the 1st. April, when the weather evidently began to change and the Gales became violent with severe snow & hail storms and very high seas. - I had got at one time to the westward of the meridian of the west entrance of the Streights of Magallen & made sure of my passage, when a most heavy Gale took us from the SW, & in lying to lost all we had got.

I still kept persevered expecting the wind would moderate, but at last seeing eight of my Men not able to Duty from severe Rheumatisms, two with dislocated Shoulders & one with a broken rib, and the rest being but few much harrassd  and fatigued from the severity of the weather, the ropes being worked & sails furl'd with much difficulty from the heavy snow storms, I was obliged to give way, but it was from the following reasons.

That it appeared evidently I had but little chance to accomplish my passage during the time I could possibly stay longer in this sea. -

That to put into Port at such a season and attempt it again, provided I had success was gaining but little time and the chance much against me.

That I had not a moment to spare to make my passage to the Cape of Good Hope and refit so as to secure my getting to Otaheite [Tahiti] in time -

Current Status: