Most of the documents in this series were previously located at ML MSS 743/2 or 3. Documents 3, 5-10, 12-14, 16-17, 19, 22 and 25, previously located at ML MSS 743/2, were acquired for the Library from Maggs Brothers in London, in December 1946. Documents 1-2, 18 and 21, previously located at ML MSS 743/3, were acquired for the Library from Angus & Robertson in December 1933.
Other documents in this series were purchased in 1884 from Lord Brabourne by Sir Saul Samuel, the Agent-General for New South Wales. They were transferred to the Mitchell Library in 1910 and were part of the accession which became known as the Brabourne collection. These include document 11 previously located at ML A78-2; document 20 previously located at ML A79-2; document 15 previously located at ML A79-3; and documents 4 and 23-24 previously located at ML A80-2.
Some documents in this series include the original folio number assigned by Banks, written in ink in an unknown hand in the top right hand corner.
It is now not possible to reconstruct Banks' original arrangement, the series has therefore been arranged chronologically.