Many of the documents in this series were previously located at ML MSS 743/1 or 2. Document 11 was previously located at ML MSS 743/1 and was acquired for the Mitchell Library from the London bookseller Francis Edwards in December 1946. Documents 1-2, 8 and 10 previously located at ML MSS 743/2, were acquired for the Library from Maggs Brothers in London, in December 1946.
Documents 4-7 in this series were previously located at ML A80-2. They were purchased in 1884 from Lord Brabourne by Sir Saul Samuel, the Agent-General for New South Wales and transferred to the Mitchell Library in 1910 and were part of the accession which became known as the Brabourne collection.
The remaining documents in this series, documents 3 and 9, previously located at ML A82, were part of an accession of Banks papers purchased by the Public Library of New South Wales from Sotheby's, London, in May 1929.
Some of these extracts include the original folio number assigned by Banks, written in ink in an unknown hand in the top right hand corner.
It is now not possible to reconstruct Banks' original arrangement. The series has therefore been arranged chronologically.