Most of the documents in this series were previously located at DL Spencer 245. These include documents 1-2, and 4-9. They were part of the personal library of Sir William Dixson which was bequeathed to the State Library of New South Wales in 1952. Dixson's bequest was formally handed over when the Dixson Library was opened in 1959. The letter accompanying document 2 was previously located at MLC181 and was acquired by the Library from Angus Robertson in February 1911. Document 3 was previously located at ML MSS 743/3 and was acquired for the Library from Maggs Brothers in London, in December 1946. It is now not possible to reconstruct Banks' original arrangement. The series has therefore been arranged chronologically.