The documents in this series were previously located at ML MSS743/2. They were acquired for the Library from Maggs Brothers in London, in December 1946. Many letters in this series include the original folio number assigned by Banks, written in ink in an unknown hand in the top right hand corner. It is now not possible to reconstruct Banks' original arrangement. The series has therefore been arranged chronologically.