These documents, previously located at ML A78-4, were purchased in 1884 from Lord Brabourne by Sir Saul Samuel, the Agent-General for New South Wales. They were transferred to the Mitchell Library in 1910 and were part of the accession which became known as the Brabourne collection.
HM Ships Providence and Assistant arrived at the West Indian island of St Vincent on 22 January 1793. Bligh and his expedition were received by Dr Alexander Anderson, superintendent of the Botanic Gardens at Kingstown. The expedition remained at St Vincent's for seven days landing plants brought from Tahiti, Timor and St Helena and loading plants prepared by Anderson for the Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew.